PRESS RELEASE October 13, 2020
Best iPhone ever features the powerful A14 Bionic, all-new design with Ceramic Shield, pro camera system, LiDAR Scanner, and the biggest Super Retina XDR display ever on an iPhone
Cupertino, California — Apple today announced iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max, introducing a powerful 5G experience and advanced technologies that push the boundaries of innovation for users who want the most out of iPhone. iPhone 12 Pro models feature a new design and edge-to-edge Super Retina XDR displays, the largest ever on iPhone, protected by the all-new Ceramic Shield front cover, which provides the biggest jump in durability ever on iPhone. The Apple-designed A14 Bionic chip, the fastest chip in a smartphone, powers impressive computational photography features including the all-new Apple ProRAW for more creative control in photos, and enables the first end-to-end Dolby Vision video experience, up to 60 fps. The reimagined pro camera systems include an expansive Ultra Wide camera, a Telephoto camera with an even longer focal length on iPhone 12 Pro Max, and new Wide cameras to capture beautiful professional-quality images and video in bright and low-light environments. iPhone 12 Pro models also introduce a new LiDAR Scanner for immersive augmented reality (AR) experiences and MagSafe, which offers high-powered wireless charging and an all-new ecosystem of accessories that easily attach to iPhone.
iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max will be available in four stainless steel finishes, including graphite, silver, gold, and pacific blue. Pre-orders for iPhone 12 Pro begin Friday, October 16, with availability beginning Friday, October 23. iPhone 12 Pro Max will be available for pre-order Friday, November 6, and in stores beginning Friday, November 13.
“This is a huge leap for iPhone, bringing the best 5G experience in the market and delivering our most advanced technologies to users who want the absolute most from their iPhone,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “Each generation of iPhone has changed what we expect from a smartphone, and now with 5G, iPhone 12 Pro provides a new generation of performance. Our tight integration of hardware and software enables incredible computational photography features like the expansion of Night mode to more cameras, and introduces support for HDR video with Dolby Vision. A state-of-the-art LiDAR Scanner means users can experience AR like never before, and also offers benefits to the camera with faster autofocus in low light and the introduction of Night mode portraits. These experiences and so much more make this the best iPhone lineup ever.”
A Superior 5G Experience
iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max deliver an advanced 5G experience on a global scale, engineered with a seamless integration of world-class hardware and world-class software. 5G on iPhone boasts improved speeds for faster downloads and uploads, higher quality video streaming, more responsive gaming, real-time interactivity in apps, FaceTime in high definition, and much more. Customers will also be able to enjoy a secure, fast connection, reducing the need to connect to public Wi-Fi hotspots.
Featuring the most 5G bands on any smartphone, iPhone 12 Pro models offer the broadest 5G coverage worldwide.1 Models in the US support millimeter wave, the higher frequency version of 5G, allowing iPhone 12 Pro models to reach speeds up to 4Gbps, even in densely populated areas. iPhone 12 Pro models also feature Smart Data mode, which extends battery life by intelligently assessing 5G needs and balancing data usage, speed, and power in real time.
A14 Bionic: Powerful and Efficient
Generations ahead of the competition, A14 Bionic is the first chip in the smartphone industry built on 5-nanometer process. Faster and more efficient than ever, A14 Bionic has the fastest CPU and GPU by up to 50 percent compared to the fastest competing smartphone chips, enabling console-quality gaming experiences, powerful computational photography, and more, while delivering great battery life. Pushing the limits of machine learning (ML), A14 Bionic features a 16-core Neural Engine — for an 80 percent increase in performance — that is capable of completing 11 trillion operations per second, enabling improved performance on even the most intense ML models.
New Design and Innovative Display Technologies
Designed with premium materials, iPhone 12 Pro models boast a new, sophisticated flat-edge design that features a gorgeous surgical-grade stainless steel band paired with a precision-milled matte glass back, and introduces the incredibly durable Ceramic Shield. The Ceramic Shield front cover, tougher than any smartphone glass, goes beyond glass and is infused with nano-ceramic crystals to dramatically improve toughness and increase drop performance by 4x.2
With impressively larger, edge-to-edge displays with reduced borders in familiar sizes, the 6.1-inch iPhone 12 Pro and 6.7-inch iPhone 12 Pro Max3 feature a Super Retina XDR display with systemwide color management for industry-leading color accuracy.And iPhone 12 Pro Max offers the largest display ever on an iPhone and the highest resolution featuring nearly 3.5 million pixels for a remarkable, true-to-life viewing experience. These OLED displays bring HDR video content to life, reaching 1200 nits peak brightness.
iPhone 12 Pro models come with an industry-leading IP68 rating to withstand water submersion up to 6 meters for up to 30 minutes, and are protected against everyday spills, including coffee and soda.4
Versatile Pro Camera System
The world’s best pro camera is an even more versatile tool for all levels of photo and video enthusiasts with state-of-the-art camera hardware powered by A14 Bionic. Together with the new image signal processor (ISP), A14 Bionic drives increased image quality and enables powerful computational photography capabilities not possible with traditional cameras. iPhone 12 Pro models also feature the new Apple ProRAW, coming later this year,5 which combines Apple’s multiframe image processing and computational photography with the versatility of a RAW format. Users can experience full creative control over color, detail, and dynamic range natively on iPhone or with other professional photo editing apps.
iPhone 12 Pro features the new seven-element lens Wide camera with an ƒ/1.6 aperture, the fastest ever on an iPhone, for 27 percent improved low-light performance in photo and video; the Ultra Wide camera with a 120-degree field of view, perfect for capturing more scene in tight spots or epic landscapes; and a 52 mm focal length Telephoto camera, great for framing portraits, bringing the optical zoom range to 4x.
iPhone 12 Pro Max takes the pro camera experience even further. The new ƒ/1.6 aperture Wide camera boasts a 47 percent larger sensor with 1.7μm pixels for a massive 87 percent improvement in low-light conditions. It also includes the expansive Ultra Wide camera and a 65 mm focal length Telephoto camera for increased flexibility with closer shots and tighter crops. Combined, this system offers 5x optical zoom range.
Improvements to Night mode, now expanded to the TrueDepth and Ultra Wide cameras, allow for an even brighter picture. And Night mode Time-Lapse delivers longer exposure times for sharper videos, better light trails, and smoother exposure in low-light scenarios when used with a tripod. Deep Fusion, now better and faster, comes to all cameras, and with the new Smart HDR 3, users can expect more true-to-life images, even in complex scenes.
iPhone 12 Pro models offer the highest quality video in a smartphone, and are the first cameras and only devices in the world to enable an end-to-end experience for HDR video with Dolby Vision, up to 60 fps, and even better video stabilization for cinema-grade productions. Dolby Vision grading is processed live and sustained during editing, whether in the Photos app or iMovie, and coming to Final Cut Pro X later this year. Dolby Vision takes advantage of the Super Retina XDR display for amazing contrast during capture and video playback, and users can share their videos with support for AirPlay up to 4K Dolby Vision to external devices.6
iPhone 12 Pro models are the first cameras and only devices in the world to enable an end-to-end experience for HDR video with Dolby Vision.Filmshot in HDRvideowith Dolby Vision on iPhone 12 Pro, by cinematographer Emmanuel “Chivo” Lubezki.
Realistic AR and Innovative Camera Experiences
An all-new LiDAR Scanner comes to the Pro line, offering the ability to measure light distance and use pixel depth information of a scene. This technology delivers faster, more realistic AR experiences and improves autofocus by 6x in low-light scenes for more accuracy and reduced capture time in photos and videos. This advanced hardware, combined with the power of the Neural Engine of A14 Bionic, also unlocks Night mode portraits, rendering a beautiful low-light bokeh effect.
Innovative New Accessories with MagSafe
MagSafe improves wireless charging for a better, more efficient experience and introduces an ecosystem of easy-to-attach accessories that beautifully complement iPhone 12 Pro models.7 MagSafe delivers a unique experience to iPhone, featuring an array of magnets around the wireless charging coil, optimized for alignment and efficiency, that perfectly connects to iPhone every time. MagSafe chargers efficiently provide up to 15W of power while still accommodating existing Qi-enabled devices. Charging solutions include the MagSafe Charger and MagSafe Duo Charger for use with iPhone and Apple Watch, as well as new silicone, leather, and clear cases that easily snap onto the back of iPhone, and a leather wallet. Customers can also expect innovative MagSafe accessories from third-party manufacturers.
Featuring iOS 14
iOS 14 delivers a reimagined iPhone experience with new ways to customize the Home Screen. Beautifully redesigned widgets present timely information at a glance and can be pinned in different sizes on any Home Screen page. The App Library is a new space that automatically organizes all of a user’s apps into one simple, easy-to-navigate view. iOS 14 also brings new ways to discover and use apps with App Clips, powerful updates for staying connected in Messages, greener ways to explore cities with Maps, and enhanced privacy features for even more transparency and control.8
Committed to the Environment
Today, Apple is carbon neutral for global corporate operations and, by 2030, plans to have net zero climate impact across the entire business, which includes manufacturing supply chains and all product life cycles. This means that every Apple device sold, from material collection, component manufacturing, assembly, transport, customer use, charging, all the way through recycling and material recovery, will be 100 percent carbon neutral. iPhone 12 Pro models were designed with the environment in mind. For the first time, iPhone 12 Pro models will utilize 100 percent recycled rare earth elements in all magnets, including the new camera, Taptic Engine, and MagSafe, as well as Apple’s MagSafe accessories. Apple is also removing the power adapter and EarPods from iPhone packaging, further reducing carbon emissions and avoiding the mining and use of precious materials, which enables smaller and lighter packaging, and allows for 70 percent more boxes to be shipped on a pallet. Taken altogether, these changes will cut over 2 million metric tons of carbon emissions annually, equivalent to removing nearly 450,000 cars from the road per year.
Pricing and Availability
- iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max will be available in 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB models in graphite, silver, gold, and pacific blue starting at $999 and $1,099, respectively. Customers can also get iPhone 12 Pro for $29.12 a month or $699 with trade-in and iPhone 12 Pro Max for $30.37 a month or $729 with trade-in from apple.com, in the Apple Store app, and at Apple Store locations.9 iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max are also available through Apple Authorized Resellers and select carriers (prices may vary).
- Customers in Australia, China, Germany, Japan, the UK, the US, and more than 30 other countries and regions will be able to pre-order iPhone 12 Pro beginning at 5 a.m. PDT on Friday, October 16, with availability beginning Friday, October 23, and pre-order for iPhone 12 Pro Max will begin at 5 a.m. PST on Friday, November 6, with availability beginning Friday, November 13.
- iPhone 12 Pro will be available in India, South Korea, and more than a dozen other countries beginning Friday, October 30.
- MagSafe Charger, Leather Wallet with MagSafe, and iPhone 12 Pro Silicone Case and Clear Case will be availablebeginning Friday, October 16.iPhone 12 Pro Leather Case will be availablebeginning Friday, November 6.MagSafe Duo Charger and Leather Sleeve will be available at a later date.
- Through Apple’s iPhone Upgrade Program, customers in the US can get iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max with the protection of AppleCare+, choose their carrier (no multiyear service contract required), and have the opportunity to upgrade to a new iPhone every year. The iPhone Upgrade Program is available for iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max at apple.com and Apple Store locations in the US with monthly payments starting at $49.91.
- Customers in the US choosing to pay with Apple Card Monthly Installments or joining or upgrading through the iPhone Upgrade Program can use the Apple Store app on their iPhone to get ready for iPhone 12 Pro pre-order until 9 p.m. PDT on Thursday, October 15. From Monday, November 2, customers can get ready for iPhone 12 Pro Max pre-order until 9 p.m. PST on Thursday, November 5.
- For a limited time, eligible customers who purchase a new iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, or Mac can enjoy one year of Apple TV+ for free and three months of Apple Arcade for free.10
- Apple One is the easiest way to get many Apple subscription services at a great value, so customers can choose the one plan that is right for them or their whole family. Customers can sign up for Apple One starting this fall.
- Customers are able to find the same great shopping and support services at apple.com and at Apple Store locations. Customers can get shopping help from Apple Specialists, choose monthly financing options, trade in eligible devices, and get Support services and no-contact delivery or Apple Store pickup options. Customers are encouraged to check apple.com/retail for more information on the health and safety measures in place, and the services available, at their local store.
- Customers in the US get 3 percent Daily Cash back when they buy directly from Apple with Apple Card. And when they choose Apple Card Monthly Installments, they can pay over time, interest-free.11
- Customers can extend their limited warranty with AppleCare+ and get accidental damage protection, or AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss, and get 24/7 priority access to technical support.
- Every customer who buys iPhone from Apple can enjoy a free Online Personal Session with an Apple Specialist, to help them explore and discover all the amazing things they can do with their new iPhone.
Images of iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
Download all images
- Data plan is required. 5G, Gigabit LTE, VoLTE, and Wi-Fi calling are available in select markets and through select carriers. Speeds are based on theoretical throughput and vary based on site conditions and carrier. For details on 5G and LTE support, customers can contact their carrier or visit apple.com/iphone/cellular.
- Claim is based on iPhone 12 Pro Ceramic Shield front cover compared with the previous-generation iPhone.
- The displays have rounded corners. When measured as a rectangle, the screen is 6.06 inches (iPhone 12 Pro) or 6.68 inches (iPhone 12 Pro Max) diagonally. Actual viewable area is less.
- iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max are splash-, water-, and dust-resistant, and were tested under controlled laboratory conditions and have a rating of IP68 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 6 meters up to 30 minutes). Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions and resistance may decrease as a result of normal wear. Do not attempt to charge a wet iPhone; refer to the user guide for cleaning and drying instructions. Liquid damage is not covered under warranty.
- Apple ProRAW will be available in a future iOS 14 update for iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max.
- 4K Dolby Vision playback requires Apple TV 4K or an AirPlay-enabled TV.
- MagSafe accessories including chargers, cases, and wallets are sold separately.
- Some features may not be available in all regions or all languages. For more information on iOS 14, visit apple.com/ios/ios-14.
- Trade-in: iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max pricing based on trade-in of iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max in good condition, respectively. Trade-in values require purchase of a new iPhone, subject to availability and limits. Trade-in values will vary based on the condition, year, and configuration of the eligible trade-in device. Not all devices are eligible for credit. Customers must be at least 18 years old to be eligible to trade in for credit or for an Apple Gift Card. Trade-in value may be applied toward a qualifying new device purchase, or added to an Apple Gift Card. Actual value awarded is based on receipt of a qualifying device matching the description provided when estimate was made. Sales tax may be assessed on the full value of a new device purchase. In-store trade-in requires presentation of a valid, government-issued photo ID (local law may require saving this information). Offer may not be available in all stores, and may vary between in-store and online trade-in. Some stores may have additional requirements. Apple or its trade-in partners reserve the right to refuse or limit quantity of any trade-in transaction for any reason. More details are available from Apple’s trade-in partners for trade-in and recycling of eligible devices. Monthly pricing: Available to qualified customers and requires a 0 percent APR, 24-month installment loan with Citizens One or Apple Card Monthly Installments and iPhone activation with AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon for purchases at an Apple Store. Taxes and shipping are not included in monthly pricing. Additional Apple Card Monthly Installments terms are in the Customer Agreement. For additional iPhone Payments terms, visit apple.com/legal/sales-support/iphoneinstallments_us.
- $4.99 per month each for Apple TV+ and Apple Arcade after free trial. Special offers are good for three months after the first activation of the eligible device. Apple Arcade offer begins October 22. One Apple TV+ offer and one Apple Arcade offer per Family Sharing group. Plans automatically renew until cancelled. Other restrictions and terms apply; visit apple.com/promo for more information.
- Apple Card Monthly Installments is available for certain Apple products and is subject to credit approval and credit limit. For more information on available products, see a Specialist for more details. iPhone activation is required on iPhone purchases made at an Apple Store with one of these national carriers: AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon. Variable APRs for Apple Card other than Apple Card Monthly Installments range from 10.99 percent to 21.99 percent based on creditworthiness. Rates as of April 1, 2020. Taxes and shipping are not included in Apple Card Monthly Installments and are subject to the standard purchase APR. See the Apple Card Customer Agreement for more information. To access and use all the features of Apple Card, customers must add Apple Card to Wallet on an iPhone with iOS 12.4 or later. To manage Apple Card Monthly Installments, customers need an iPhone with iOS 13.2 or later or an iPad with iPadOS 13.2 or later. Update to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS by choosing Settings > General > Software Update. Tap Download, then Install. Available for qualifying applicants in the United States. Issued by Goldman Sachs Bank USA, Salt Lake City Branch.
Apple Media Helpline
iPhone 12 models or later work with the 5G mobile networks of certain network providers. Find out how to use 5G mobile service.Is an iPhone 12 Pro Max 5G ready? ›
iPhone 12 models or later work with the 5G mobile networks of certain network providers. Find out how to use 5G mobile service.What is the difference between iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max? ›
The iPhone 12 Pro has a size of 6.1 inches, and the 12 Pro Max has a size of 6.7 inches. This means that the larger phone will be able to display more content, with the UI elements of apps spaced further apart, and items such as the keyboard will be much bigger.Why does my 12 Pro Max not have 5G? ›
If you turn on Low Power Mode, 5G is disabled except in some cases such as video streaming and large downloads. With iPhone 12 models, Low Power Mode disables 5G Standalone (where available).When did iPhone 12 5G come out? ›
If you're using iOS 14 to iOS 14.5, you can turn on 5G Standalone by going to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Voice and Data or Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Voice and Data. With 5G Standalone, all cellular activity uses 5G. For more details on 5G networks, contact your carrier.Which iPhone has longest battery life? ›
The iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max are both incredibly good phones, but the real thing it comes down to is how much you are staring at your phone. If you are a power user who wants the most out of your device, then the iPhone 14 Pro Max is the one to go for.Is 5G or LTE better? ›
LTE is currently capable of handling around 1 Gbps (gigabits per second), while 5G will be able to support up to 10 Gbps. Therefore 5G will be able to handle more data traffic and provide faster speeds for users.Should I turn off 5G on iPhone 12 Pro Max? ›
There are several instances where it could be helpful to turn off 5G speeds. For example, 5G does use more battery than 4G LTE. So, if you need data and don't want to waste battery, LTE should be perfectly fine. Some carriers also limit how much 5G speed you have, and you might want to save your 5G data for a trip.
Verify that there is 5G coverage where you are. Yes, 5G is everywhere, but there are still huge gaps in the network which means you won't always have coverage. Your 5G capable phone will always find a signal and connect if 5G. If it isn't available, your phone will revert back to LTE or 4G.What is the oldest iPhone that will work on 5G? ›
None of the earlier iPhone models supports 5G and will never be capable of. This is the case for iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max and the iPhone SE 2020.Which iPhone is already 5G? ›
iPhone 12 models or later work with the 5G cellular networks of certain carriers. Learn how to use 5G cellular service.Where is the 5G antenna on iPhone 12 Pro Max? ›
The SIM card tray is moved to the left side of the iPhone 12 series to make room for mmWave Antenna (module 2) cutouts below the power button on the right side of the mobile device. The other mmWave antenna (module 1) is present on the stacked PCB structure and it radiates from the back of the smartphone.Will iPhone 14 have 5G? ›
The iPhone 14 Pro features faster 5G speeds on the T-Mobile and Verizon networks in the United States compared to the iPhone 13 Pro, largely thanks to a new 5G modem in the latest iPhones.What is iPhone 14 Pro Max? ›
The iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max feature a new Super Retina XDR display with updated ProMotion technology that allows for an Always-On display, a first for an iPhone. The Always-On display is made possible through a new 1Hz to 120Hz refresh rate along with improved power efficient technologies.How do I know if my phone is 5G? ›
Select 'SIM & network' option. You will see a header named 'Preferred Network' and all the cellular technologies which the phone supports will appear here. If the list states 5G, your phone is 5G ready!How do I change my iPhone 12 from 5G to LTE? ›
On iPhone 12 models and later with a 5G data plan, you can do the following: Enable Smart Data mode to optimize battery life: Tap Voice & Data, then choose 5G Auto. In this mode, your iPhone automatically switches to LTE when 5G speeds don't provide noticeably better performance.How do I turn my 4G phone into 5G? ›
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap' Network & Internet.
- Click 'Mobile Network'
- Select 'Preferred network type. '
- Choose the highest network generation you want to use.
It is not shocking to see Apple discontinue their higher variants of the iPhone 12. This is so that the users do not opt for the previous generation phones. Buying an iPhone 12 Pro could get easier because of the price cut down after the launch of the iPhone 13.
Apple will support iPhones (and all devices it makes) for seven years from the last time it sold that particular model. So as long as your iPhone was still being sold by Apple up to seven years ago the company will still service it – in other words: help you fix it (for a price).How many years can iPhone 12 Pro Max last? ›
You can expect somewhere between five and seven years of major iOS updates, plus potential security patches beyond that. Your battery will decrease in performance over time, but as long as you have enough storage and keep your device from physical damage, it should last you a good amount of time.What is killing my iPhone battery so fast? ›
Background app refresh and background app activity
Apps that run in the background can also cause your battery to drain faster. If you have apps that refresh frequently or have excessive background activity, they could be using more battery power than necessary.
“Consumers' perceived lack of innovation within the iPhone 14 base range has led to poor take-up of the device, post physical release,” explains the report. “This means demand is low on the resale market, too, so the value of the base range has dropped significantly.”Which iPhone camera is best? ›
The iPhone 14 Pro and 14 Pro Max are the clear winners for the best iPhone camera award. If you want the best viewing experience, then go for the Max. If you like a smaller phone, the iPhone 14 Pro is for you.Why 13 Pro is better than Pro Max? ›
The iPhone 13 Pro has a display size of 6.1 inches and the iPhone 13 Pro Max has a display size of 6.7 inches. This means that the larger phone will be able to show more content on the screen, with the UI elements of apps spaced further apart and items such as the keyboard being much bigger.Will the iPhone 14 Pro be worth it? ›
There are always features that end up being hyped by Apple, but end up underwhelming as you use the device. Some things are nice but the always-on display, the Dynamic Island, and the updated cameras have left a significant impression on us. Three months later, iPhone 14 Pro is still worth the purchase.Why is the Max Pro so expensive? ›
The 48-megapixel rear camera and always-on display in the iPhone 14 Pro Max are the primary reasons for the price increase. A newly published report examines how much it costs Apple to manufacture the iPhone 14 Pro Max.Can 5G penetrate walls? ›
Although 5G mmWave is super fast its wavelengths have short and weak penetration through physical objects such as walls, doors, trees, etc.Will 4G phones work in 2023? ›
Is it OK to buy a 4G phone in 2023? 4G phones still work on 4G LTE networks for now, but eventually they will become obsolete. Consider how long you plan to keep your phone; if you plan to keep your phone for longer than a year or so, it might be a good idea to get a phone that is 5G compatible.
If you need faster speeds, live in an area with 5G coverage and use a phone service provider that runs on T-Mobile or Verizon towers, upgrading to a 5G phone could be worth it for you. Plus, as 5G continues to expand, coverage and download speeds will only improve.How long does iPhone 12 Pro Max battery last on 5G? ›
|Row 0 - Cell 0||Battery life (hrs:mins)||Battery size (mAh)|
|iPhone 12 Pro (5G/)||9:06||2,815 mAh|
|iPhone 12 Pro Max (5G/)||10:53||3,687 mAh|
|iPhone 11 (4G)||11:16||3,110 mAh|
|iPhone 11 Pro (4G)||10:24||3,046 mAh|
Yes, 5G has the potential to use more battery than 4G. This is especially true for first-generation 5G devices, which used inefficient modems.Should I use LTE or 5G on my iPhone? ›
Voice & Data
When 5G speeds don't provide a noticeably better experience, your iPhone automatically switches to LTE, saving battery life. 5G On: Always uses 5G network when it's available. This might reduce battery life. LTE: Uses only LTE network, even when 5G is available.
The easy answer is no; You will not need a new SIM card for 5G. Most modern phones support both 4G and 5G, and switching to 5G is as easy as making sure your plan is 5G compatible.Which phones will no longer work with 5G? ›
Among iPhones, only iPhone 12 and the later models like iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max support 5G. So, if your iPhone is older than iPhone 12, it won't support 5G. All of these models are built with the Apple A14 Bionic processor.What is the cheapest iPhone that supports 5G? ›
Apple iPhone SE (2022)
The smartphone's $420 starting price makes it easily the cheapest 5G option for iPhone fans.
|iPhone Model||5G Ready|
|iPhone 11 Pro / 11 Pro Max||No|
|iPhone SE 2020||No|
|iPhone XS / XS Max||No|
5G can be significantly faster than 4G, delivering up to 20 Gigabits-per-second (Gbps) peak data rates and 100+ Megabits-per-second (Mbps) average data rates. 5G has more capacity than 4G. 5G is designed to support a 100x increase in traffic capacity and network efficiency. 5G has lower latency than 4G.Will older iPhones get 5G? ›
Currently, all of Apple's recent releases support 5G connectivity, including the new iPhone 14 series. You'll also find 5G support on previous models like the iPhone 13 series, the 3rd-gen iPhone SE (2022), and the iPhone 12.
While the iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 feature cameras with similar specifications, the iPhone 13 offers Dolby Vision HDR video at a higher frame rate, Cinematic mode, and Photographic Styles, as well as hardware improvements such as a larger sensor and sensor-shift stabilization.How much faster is 5G than 4G? ›
5G up to 100 times faster than 4G
In the right conditions 5G download speeds can reach 10 gigabits per second. That's up to 100 times faster than 4G – and certainly the level of performance needed for an increasingly connected society.
What models are compatible with 5G? Since the iPhone 11 series are limited to 4G, the current 5G compatible iPhones are only within the iPhone 12 series and the iPhone 13 series. To summarise, you'll never be able to use the 5G network on an iPhone 11, 11 Pro, or 11 Pro Max.Which iPhone models have 5G? ›
- iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max.
- iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus.
- iPhone S E.
- iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini.
- iPhone 12.
None of the earlier iPhone models supports 5G and will never be capable of. This is the case for iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max and the iPhone SE 2020.Is 5G better than LTE? ›
One of the most significant advantages of 5G over LTE is that it offers much lower latency and faster download speeds. 5G networks can achieve these speeds because they operate at higher frequency bands than LTE networks. The higher the frequency waves, the more data can be transmitted in a given amount of time.How do I know if my phone is 5G ready? ›
Select 'SIM & network' option. You will see a header named 'Preferred Network' and all the cellular technologies which the phone supports will appear here. If the list states 5G, your phone is 5G ready!What is the best iPhone for 5G? ›
iPhone 13: More 5G access + faster speeds
This makes the iPhone 13 one the best 5G iPhone on the market, only eclipsed by the connectivity of the iPhone 14. Like its predecessor, the iPhone 13 series includes four device models, from the iPhone 13 mini through the iPhone 13 Pro Max—all of which support 5G.
|iPhone Model||5G Ready|
|iPhone 11 Pro / 11 Pro Max||No|
|iPhone SE 2020||No|
|iPhone XS / XS Max||No|
The Apple iPhone 12 Pro has now been configured for use of 5G networks.
|iPhone model||Network type|
|iPhone 12 Pro||5G enabled|
|iPhone 12 Pro Max||5G enabled|
|iPhone 11||4G enabled, No 5G|
|iPhone 11 pro||4G enabled, No 5G|
5G+ indicates you're connected to a mmWave 5G NR tower, short-range radios that deliver breakneck speeds. Performing a speed test will reveal download speeds of 1–3 Gbps. For context, 4G LTE averages around 0.025 Gbps on most US carriers. For those on Verizon, you may see 5G UWB in the status bar.Is 4G being phased out? ›
Is it OK to buy a 4G phone in 2023? 4G phones still work on 4G LTE networks for now, but eventually they will become obsolete. Consider how long you plan to keep your phone; if you plan to keep your phone for longer than a year or so, it might be a good idea to get a phone that is 5G compatible.Is 5G faster than WiFi? ›
Speed and Latency: WiFi typically excels over mobile networks in speed and latency. Nevertheless, 5G is comparable to WiFi 6 in terms of overall speed. Specifically, the latency (or the time between user actions and web response) in 5G is comparable to that of WiFi—a critical move towards supporting mobile gaming.Do I need to upgrade to a 5G phone? ›
If your current phone is 5G-compatible, you likely won't have to upgrade anything to get access to the faster service where it's available. If your phone isn't 5G-compatible, you'll have to get a new one. Unfortunately, 5G phones are significantly more expensive on average than other phones.Do I need to change SIM for 5G? ›
Therefore, to conclude, we would like to reassure you by saying that you do not have to get a new SIM card to get 5G. The 4G SIM that we provide is more than capable of handling 5G and all your 5G related needs. All you have to do is sit back, relax, and enjoy 5G to the fullest.How can I convert my 4G phone to 5G? ›
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap' Network & Internet.
- Click 'Mobile Network'
- Select 'Preferred network type. '
- Choose the highest network generation you want to use.