“My iPhone 14 goes into silent mode by itself. Looking at the settings, nothing has changed and would indicate all sounds are still on. However, I'll not receive any sounds notification, ringer and alarms are off. Why this is happenning and how to fix?”
Recently many iPhone 13 users reported this sound issue on iOS devices: iPhone keeps switching to silent mode. This can be annoying when you miss important phone calls and messages.
Why does my iPhone keep switing to silent? Well, there are various reasons for the silent switch randomly turns on and off, such as changes in settings, software bugs or even hardware problems.
Don't worry. Here we have compiled some effective solutions to fix iPhone keeps switching to silent mode on its own. We recommend you trying one solution and then move on to the next if the problem persists.
1. Adjust Sound Settings on iPhone
It is possible that you accidentally turn off the sound using the iPhone's buttons. You can change this in Settings, preventing the buttons from interfering with the sound.
To do that , go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics (for older iOS, just Sound), then turn off "Change with Buttons" under the "Ringer and Alerts" section.
2. Change Do Not Disturb Settings
Adjusting the Sound settings on your iPhone will help to fix the issue. If not, you can make use of the Do Not Disturb feature to eliminate any settings that could be causing the iPhone keeps changing to silent mode issue.
To do that, go to Settings > Do Not Disturb and locate the option "Activate" under the "Do Not Disturb While Driving" section. It is set to "Automatically" by default. Change it to "Manually" and see if the silent switch is functioning properly.
3. Turn Off the Back Tap Feature
Back Tap is a amazing feature with the release of iOS 14. You can easily lock/mute the device or launch Siri by tapping the back of your iPhone.
However, you may have the issue of iPhone keeps goint to silent mode if this feature is enabled. So, you can disable it to fix the sound error. Here's how to do it:
- Head to Settings and choose "Accessibility", then tap "Touch".
- Scroll down to find "Back Tap" and select it.
- If you find "Mute" next to Double Tap or Triple Tap, tap on it.
- Then choose "None" to disable the Back Tap feature for Mute.
4. Force Restart Your iPhone
Force restarting your iPhone is also a great way to remove any settings that could be causing the issue of iPhone going silent automatically. Here's how to force restart your iPhone:
- For iPhone 8 and later: Press and quickly release the volume up button, then press and quickly release the volume down button. Press and hold the power button until you see the Apple logo.
- For iPhone 7 and 7 plus: Press and hold the power button and the volume up button until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
- For iPhone 6 and earlier: Press and hold the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
5. Fix with Bold Text Function
Most people don't know it, but you can also restart the device using the "Bold Text" function in Settings.
To do that, go to Settings > General > Accessibility, then turn on "Bold Text". A popup will appear telling you the device will restart. Tap "Continue" and the iPhone will restart.
6. Check & Clean the Switch Button
You can find the silent switch just above the volume buttons on your iPhone. Using a soft cloth or a toothpick to clean the switch button and make sure there is no dirt/dust in it that cause iPhone keeps changint to silent.
Sometimes, the switch may be broken or faulty, then your device could go silent at inopportune moments. Try putting the device in silent mode using the silent button. If it doesn't work, you should consider contacting Apple Support to get the device repaired.
7. Use Assistive Touch Instead
Excessive using of the switch button may also affect its functionality. In this case, we suggest you use the Assistive Touch instead of the switch button to change the Silent/Ringer option. Here's how to do it:
- On your iPhone, go to Settings > General > Accessibility to locate the option "Assistive Touch" and turn it on.
- Go back to home screen and tap the grey floating circle, then click on the "Device" option.
- Here you'll be able to unmute, volume up, volume down the device without any physical buttons.
8. Disable Silence Unknown Callers
Silence Unknown Callers is another great feature that enables you block phone calls from unknown contacts. But you may miss calls when this feature is enabled. Disabling it will not help to fix iPhone keeps switching to silent mode, but it can help prevent any mised phone calls.
On your iPhone, go to Settings > Phone and check "Silence Unknown Callers". If it is turned on, tap on it and toggle the switch to off.
9. Update iOS to the Latest Version
Updating iOS to the latest version of iOS 17 can help to fix any bugs in the system that could be causing the iPhone's sound to malfunction. Follow these simple steps to update the device:
- Connect your iPhone to a stable Wi-Fi network.
- Open the Settings on your device and then tap on General.
- Tap on "Software Update" and if an update is available, click "Download and Install" to install it on your device.
10. Repair iOS to Fix iPhone Keeps Switching to Silent Mode
Many problems like this one are caused by issues with the iOS system. If all the solutions above don't work to repair the device, you should consider using an iOS system repair tool to fix it. One of the best tools to use is FoneGeek iOS System Recovery.
The program has many great features designed to help repairing any iOS related issue. These features include the following:
- The Standard Mode allows you to fix all iOS related issues without data loss.
- Fix a lot of iOS problems like iPhone stuck on the Apple Logo, Recovery or DFU mode, the black/white screen and many other issues.
- Very easy to use, allowing you to repair your device in a few simple steps and a few minutes.
- Supports all iOS devices and iOS versions, including the latest iPhone 15/14/13 and iOS 17/16.
- Gets positive reviews from CNET, Software.Informer, Filehorse, GetDroidTips, Lera Blog, etc.
- The price is $5 cheaper than other iOS repair tools.
Follow these simple steps to fix iPhone keeps goint to silent mode issue without data loss:
Step 1: Install FoneGeek iOS repair tool on your computer and then launch it. In the main window, select "Standard Mode" to begin.
Step 2: Connect the iPhone to the computer and unlock the device to allow the program to recognize it. If it is not connected, put the device in DFU/recovery mode using the procedure displayed on the screen.
Step 3: The program will then detect the device's model and present you with various suitable firmware options. Select one and then click "Download".
Step 4: Once the firmware download is complete, click on "Fix Now" and the program will immediately begin repairing the device.
Keep the device connected to the computer until the process is complete and the device restarts.
FoneGeek iOS System Recovery has received many favourable reviews from our purchased users, you can check it here:
Whenever you have the issue of iPhone keeps turning to silent mode, you can use the solutions above to repair the device. Select a solution you can trust and follow the instructions to implement it.
Let us know in the comments section below if you were able to repair the device. Your questions and comments on this issue and many others are welcomed.